Summary: When organizations switch from Lotus Notes to Outlook, they need to configure Lotus Notes in Outlook. In this article, we have provided two solutions to migrate IBM Lotus Notes to Outlook. One is a manual solution, and the other one is an automated solution that uses an advanced software program.
IBM Lotus Notes and Outlook are two powerful email clients used by organizations for information management. However, Outlook offers a more refined and user-friendly interface. It is also more popular as it offers better support, has a bigger community, etc.
Due to these reasons, and a few more, many organizations switch to Outlook from IBM Lotus Notes. If you are also making this switch, you need to sync Lotus Notes with Outlook.
How to Configure Lotus Notes in Outlook?
There are two main ways to transfer IBM Lotus Notes to Outlook or NSF to Outlook:
This method can be divided into two parts. In the first part, you have to convert NSF file into CSV file. In the second part, you have to import the CSV file in Outlook.
For the first part, follow these steps:
- Launch IBM Lotus Notes and open the NSF file that you want to configure in Outlook.
- Open the File tab, and click Export.
- In the Export window that opens, provide the location where you want to save the file.
- Open Save as type drop-menu and click Comma Separated Value.
- Enter a name for the file and click Export.
- Select appropriate options for saving the CSV file and click OK.
Following these steps will save the IBM Lotus Notes data in a CSV file which concludes the first part. In the second part, you have to import the CSV into Outlook. You can do it by following these steps:
- Launch Outlook and go to File > Open & Export > Import/Export.
- In the Import and Export Wizard, click Import from another program and file. Then click Next.
- Select Comma Separated Values and click Next.
- Enter the location of the CSV file to be imported. Under Options, select Replace duplicates with items imported, and then click Next.
- Select the Outlook mailbox folder where you want to transfer the CSV data, and then click Next.
- Once the file is imported, click Finish.
The manual method to configure Lotus Notes in Outlook we just discussed involves many technical steps, and it can be time-consuming. On the other hand, an automated solution uses an advanced software program which can perform a seamless transfer of NSF to Outlook and sync Lotus Notes with Outlook.
You can use a good NSF to PST Converter software to send IBM Lotus Notes to Outlook 2019, 2016, or 2013. You can convert multiple NSF files in one session with the software, and also save the data in formats such as HTML, PDF, etc.
To use the software for configuring NSF notes in Outlook, follow these steps:
- Launch the software and enter the location of the NSF file. The software will scan the file automatically.
- Preview the contents of the NSF file and select the items you want to configure for Outlook.
- Save the selected items in PST format on your system.
- Import the PST file in Outlook using the Import and Export Wizard.
IBM Lotus Notes saves mailbox data in NSF files, and Outlook saves exportable mailbox data in PST files. Due to this difference in file format, you can’t directly export NSF to Outlook. You can either apply the manual solution yourself, or you can use a third-party Stellar Converter for NSF.
If you are technically adept, then the manual solution is suitable for you. However, if you are not technically strong or seek a straightforward solution, you should use the software.