The usage of Chromebook increased a lot in the last few years. At present, they are able to support a wide range of Android and a few Linux applications. One of them is, of course, Kodi. In this article, we shall discuss how to install this popular home theatre application on your Chromebook.
What is Kodi?
Kodi is an app that proclaims itself to be the ultimate center of entertainment. Honestly, their proclamation is not wrong either. You can manage and access the media content in all your devices using Kodi. Apart from having a nice picture gallery, the app also supports many audio and video formats used commonly. Let’s take a deep dive into how to install Kodi on Chromebook.
How to Install Kodi?
There are 3 common ways by which you can install Kodi on your Chromebook. Which way you shall choose, depends on the version of Chromebook that you own.
Using the Google Play Store
- Launch play store on your Chrome book.
- At the top, you will find the search bar where you can search for Kodi.
- You can either type and hit the search button or also use the voice-based search.
- Within a few seconds, you will find the search result list.
- Click on Kodi’s icon. Make sure that you are going to install the official version since there are many applications related to Kodi.
- An easy way to recognize is by the developer’s name – XBMC Foundation.
- Click on the signature green Install button and the Chromebook will start the installation procedure.
Find the icon of Kodi among the list of your installed apps and there, you are all set to use it.
Install by using Arc Welder
This is a useful process if your Chromebook does not have Play Store.
- Install Arc Welder on your Chromebook, it is a popular Chrome plugin.
- Go to the official website of Kodi and click on the icon of Android or you can also download Kodi app from AndroidCrew.
- Choose 64 bit or 32 bit depending on your Chrome’s OS version and download the
- After launching Arc Welder, you will find a very simple user interface that comes with a “Plus” icon.
- Click on the Plus icon and browse the APK file downloaded on your system.
- Once you do that, Arc Welder will start processing the application. You will see an overview screen once everything is completed.
- Once everything is done, you will be able to use Kodi.
Use Kodi as a PlugIn
Using Kodi as a plugin prevents you the pain of running the Arc Welder every time you want to use Kodi.
- This involves the previous procedure of running Kodi via Arc Welder.
- Open Chrome and click on the More button at the extreme right.
- Scroll to More Tools and open the extension menu.
- Mark “Developer mode” checked. If its already marked as checked, go to the top left and select Load Unpacked Extensions.
- A window will open. Browse to the folder where your downloaded kinds of stuff are stored.
- Find the Kodi.apk file that was created using the Arc Welder.
- Click on Open.
This process will create an extension of Kodi on your Chrome browser which you can execute anytime.
The best way to install Kodi is if your Chrome is updated and has the Google Play Store. If not, the 2 other ways mentioned above are useful and quite hassle-free. If you know about any other alternative to install Kodi on your Chromebook that does not involve the Arc welder, let us know in the comments.